Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 29, 2013


THURSDAY - Eisenach to Frankfurt, Germany and Fly Home

We are up early this morning and once again it is cloudy. There is no way we can sleep late on a travel day! it is cold and grey outside. we are ready for some sunshine. It has been very allusive since we have been in Europe. We finish packing and are in the dinning room as soon as they open and have a better breakfast than the dinner last night. It is buffet and eggs cooked to order.

One last climb to the forth floor eves to meet the bellman and back down again to check out. We are off to Frankfurt less than three hours away and it is a little after 8AM. That has got to be a record for Carolyn! The drive is pleasant and there is very little traffic until we near Frankfurt. About half way there the sun comes out and we can really see how pretty Spring is in Germany. The grasses are a lush green and there are many white and pink flowering trees intermingled with white houses with red roofs.

We get to the airport a little before 11AM and only have to circle around once to find and make the turn for the rental car return which is painless once we are in the right spot. It is a looooong hike through two terminals to check in and the airport is a little stuffy from too much heat. Final boarding passes in hand and through the dreaded security check, we begin the hunt for the BC lounge. We have about two hours until flight time. Don't know way this airport has given us so much trouble finding the lounge, except the signage is for before the concourses were finished and do not point toward the area where the lounges are now.

Finally with Dick cussing and Carolyn steaming, we find the right door and it opens to the lounge! We have a light snack and cool off in time for our boarding to be called. The plane is cool and comfortable with fully reclining seats that are also comfortable through out the 9 hour flight. We take off on U447 on time at 1:50PM for an uneventful flight.

It has been raining when we land at 6:15PM in Houston, but JW is waiting for us in the baggage section and we are off. He tells us that the airport was closed down at 2PM due to a shooting event in the domestic terminal and just reopened a little while ago. He was afraid it would disrupt our arrival as all flights had been diverted for a while. Thank goodness we weren't affected! It is evening rush hour in Houston, but we make decent time and are home in about an hour and a half.

It was a wonderful trip! But much too short for such long flights. India was incredible and we hope to be able to go back. Europe is beautiful in the Spring, we are glad we were able to see the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment